Stethoscope Cleaning and Care
Keep your stethoscope in top condition.
Your 3M™ Littmann® Stethoscope is designed to provide years of reliable service. Periodically giving it a routine cleaning helps ensure optimal acoustic performance, helps extend the life of the stethoscope, and leaves it looking shiny and new.
General cleaning tips
- If your stethoscope needs to be disinfected, wipe with a 70% isopropyl alcohol solution.
- Do not use hand sanitizer as a cleaning agent as there are additives that may damage parts of the stethoscope.
- Do not immerse your stethoscope in any liquid, or subject it to any sterilization process.
- Keep your stethoscope away from extreme heat, cold, solvents and oils.
- Tunable diaphragms can be removed from the chestpiece and their surfaces wiped with alcohol or soapy water. Dry all parts thoroughly before reassembly.
- Eartips can be removed from the eartubes for thorough cleaning. For safety, snap eartips firmly back onto the ribbed ends of the eartubes.
Refer to your Littmann stethoscope owner’s manual for detailed instructions on removing and cleaning parts, and reassembly.
Care for stethoscope tubes
All Littmann stethoscopes now feature a next-generation tubing that retains its shape and flexibility even after folding tightly into a pocket. It provides longer stethoscope life due to improved resistance to skin oils and alcohol, and is less likely to pick up stains. However, it’s still good practice to wear your stethoscope over a collar whenever possible.
Next-generation tubing is not made with natural rubber latex, a benefit to sensitive medical professionals and their patients. And, to play its part in the protection of human health and the environment, the next-generation tubing does not contain phthalate plasticizers.